Media Advisory – July 26, 2011
Contact: Khanh Weinberg – (408) 678-3364
WHAT: City of Santa Cruz workers and community groups challenge Santa Cruz City Council to defend Social Security benefits for temporary employees.
WHY: The city wants to strip Social Security benefits from temporary city workers and place them on risky alternative retirement plan.
* Losing Social Security means losing a lifeline for many working families
* Employees with disabilities, employees whose spouse dies, who have children to feed, and those who depend on social security in their senior years will be left out in the cold
* An alternative retirement plan depends on market forces
* There is no guarantee that money will be there when workers need it
* You can’t transfer this alternative plan to a new job if you leave city employment
WHEN: 5 p.m., TODAY
WHERE: City Council Chambers, 809 Center St., Santa Cruz
# # #
The Service Employees International Union is an organization of 2.1 million members united by the belief in the dignity and worth of workers and the services they provide. SEIU is dedicated to improving the lives of workers and their families and creating a more just and humane society. For more information, visit www.seiu521.org