Tell Congress to stand up for the 99%

Save the date: Thursday, Nov. 17 is National Day of Action.
Attend an action supporting Occupy Wall Street near you.

We are the 99 percentThe wealthiest 1 percent in America owns 42 percent of the nation’s wealth. Meanwhile, millions are unemployed. Congress needs to stand up for America’s working families. We need jobs, not cuts!

How have you, your friends, and family been affected by the economy?
Tell your story here.

Or, share this campaign with a coworker, friend or family member and let them tell their story.

Scroll down to read the stories that have been submitted to us.

We demand that the sharing of wealth begin.
All employees that have worked for big corporations that have done away with their pension plans to pad the income to the CEO’s and shareholders on the backs of the workers is unacceptable. Get the money out of politics and a business/corporation is NOT a person!
— Maryanne
Submit date: Monday, Oct. 31, 2011 – 8:50 a.m.

I see the rich getting richer, paying almost no taxes
I’ve been affected by the economy for the past four years. My salary is low for the hours I worked, I still live with my mother, her Social Security benefits have been cut, and it’s been extremely difficult to search for affordable housing. I know and feel that others are going through this kind of issue and to me, it’s NOT fair that the government only says that things will get taken caren of but I don’t see anyone getting to work. I see the rich getting richer, paying almost no taxes, the unemployed and welfare system getting funds doing absolutely nothing! (They say they’re looking for work but they’re not.) Those who work deserve a decent job, affordable healthcare and if it’s possible affordable housing.
— Aida
Submit Date: Friday, Nov. 4 2011, 9:34 a.m.

Our family needs a lifeline
Since this disaster has started my husband has lost his job, our mortgage is VERY behind.  My job is trying to cut my pay 14% and my husband’s last UIB payment will end in 4 weeks.  our medical bills are roughly $450 monthly.  We are in foreberance. The servicer has been stringing us along since january before offering us a 4 month foreberance which will end in November. Aall our family members have some type of illness.  We are drowning!  We need help!  WE NEED HELP WITH EMPLOYMENT FOR MY HUSBAND, MORTGAGE HELP SO WE CAN KEEP OUR HOUSE, AND NO CUTS FROM MY JOB.  OUR FAMILY NEEDS A LIFELINE. PLEASE!
— SMKB a family in need
Submit Date: Saturday, Oct. 29 2011 – 1:41 p.m.

Main st., not Wall St.
The economy revolves around the middle class, not the richest one percent. The middle class needs a bailout. Main st., not Wall St.
— John Chetcuti
Submit Date: Friday, Oct. 28 2011 – 2:57 p.m.

The wealthy get richer at the expense of the lower income middle class
Thank you very much. You and your colleges have allowed, perpetuated, supported and caused the situation this country is in now.
Something is very wrong when the wealthy get richer at the expense of the lower income middle class. They & their multi-national companies pay the lowest % in taxes. It’s simply wrong when people like Warren Buffet and their businesses pay less in taxes then their secretaries do. I say you should start with yourself. Get some common sense ethics, then live by them & demonstrate them through your actions daily.
— Parker R. Santiago
Submit Date: Friday, Oct. 28, 2011 – 11:02 a.m.

The rich get richer, we get poorer!
The County laid off my husband in June and gave his job to the a Sherriff Sgt.. at much much more money, because it was a County Hospital (VMC) at $125.000.00 ? more a year for the S/O’s salary…
My Mother just had a stroke, now we have to pay a share of cost $1,137.00 a month for her Rehab. Fac. which they charge $7,000.00 a month to keep all the poor elderly people who are waiting to die in wheelchairs sleeping in the halls! They have to die a horrible slow death just for the mighty dollar! The rich get richer, we get poorer! The cost for food and medical is unreal now!
— Rita G. (Used to be Middle Class) Now poor…
Submit Date: Friday, Oct. 28, 2011 – 10:52 a.m.

Did you like this? Share it:

Comments about Tell Congress to stand up for the 99% are welcome. Off-topic comments and other violations of our community guidelines may be withheld or removed. Comments do not appear immediately after posting.