Click here for more photos. (Flickr)
Support Fresno County workers: Call the BOS today!
Call or email the Fresno County Board of Supervisors and tell them that you support the Fresno County workers.
Continue to show your support by posting comments on Facebook: www.facebook.com/SEIU521FRESNO
On the first day of a three-day strike, more than 1,500 Fresno County workers walked off the job today, demanding respect and a fair contract from their employer.
Starting at 6 a.m., workers fanned out across the county, marching and carrying picket signs at 27 separate worksites at what was the first day of a three-day strike.
Workers are striking because Fresno County managers walked away from negotiations and then imposed a final offer even as workers were in the middle of voting on the county’s contract proposal. Read more here.
“We’re just trying to get a fair contract,” said Laura Basua, a Jobs Specialist with Fresno County. “We want the county to come back to the bargaining table. They broke the law by not allowing members to finish voting. Every member needs to be heard, and they did not allow that. They imposed on us without hearing our members’ voices.”
The three main strike locations are:
Hall of Records/Plaza Downtown
2220 and 2281 Tulare St.
4499 E. Kings Canyon Road
3151 N. Millbrook
On Tuesday, Jan. 24, everyone is meeting at 8 a.m. at the Hall of Records, where the Board of Supervisors will have a meeting.
If you can’t be there, you can still show solidarity by posting supportive comments on SEIU 521 Facebook page for Fresno County: www.facebook.com/SEIU521Fresno
See media coverage:
- The Fresno Bee: Fresno County leaders, union dig in as labor strike begins
- SFGate: 1,500 union workers walk off job in Fresno County
- The Coalinga Post: Fresno County Workers on Strike in Coalinga
- The Fresno Bee: Fresno County workers strike; officials say most services intact (Video and article)
- CBS 47: Fresno County workers on strike (Video and article)
- The Business Journal: Fresno County workers stage walkout
- CBS 47: Fresno County workers strike over pay cut (Video and article)
- The Fresno Bee: Fresno County workers begin labor strike
- ABC News: Fresno County workers expected to begin strike (Video and article)
- KQED – The California Report: Fresno County Union calls for strike (Audio and transcript)
- ABC News: Fresno County workers prepare to go on strike (Video and article)
- CaliforniaHealthline: Nurses Union to participate in Fresno County labor strike
- eNews Park Forest: Fresno County nurses to strike 3 days…
View photo slideshow:
Click here for more footage. (Youtube)
For more information and media coverage of strike day 2, click here.