Workers Ratify Agreement 3 to 1
After attending various worksite and union hall meetings, City workers gave a nod of approval to a tentative agreement reached on July 2 between the SEIU 521 and the City of Santa Cruz.
Santa Cruz workers take action at council
City of Santa Cruz workers held two actions at the city council meeting June 25.
Highlights of the agreement include:
* 2% cost of living increase (COLA) in July, 2013
* 2% COLA in July, 2014
* Shift Differentials increase to 5% of base hourly rate
* $50 per pay period for A/B Licenses and Certificates
* No payment of $29.50 per pay period of health insurance premium for two years
* Deferral of 1.5% employee contribution to pension fund until July, 2014
Other major changes to benefit working conditions are:
* Ability to grieve and arbitrate City’s decision to contract out bargaining unit work
* Progressive discipline steps outlined in contract clause on reprimands
* Stronger lay off language which restricts prolonged use of temp workers
The City and SEIU 521 negotiating teams will be back at the table in early 2015, due to new language which states that bargaining commences 150 days before the expiration of the contract (July 4,2015)
City workers are invited to attend a meeting to review new provisions in new MOU:
When: Wednesday, July 31 at 5:30 p.m.
Where: SEIU Local 521 Office, 517 B Mission Street in Santa Cruz