Jan. 8, 2014
Every SEIU member will be affected by this IMPASSE (both fee payers and members in good standing alike). On January 13, everyone has the opportunity to make a difference in their contract by attending the City Council Meeting in City Hall on Monday, January 13 at 5:15 pm. Consider the one hour of time an investment in your future. Will you be there? Power in numbers.
SEIU Brothers and Sisters
Yesterday – January 7, 2014 Negotiations: The SEIU bargaining team submitted their best and last package proposal to the City and the City rejected it. After much discussion, the City declared IMPASSE at 4:30 pm. The City never moved from their one and only package proposal submitted in October 2013.
What does IMPASSE mean?
IMPASSE is declared when there is belief that the situation is so difficult that no progress can be made. The situation is at deadlock or a stalemate. The City declared IMPASSE. SEIU will request fact-finding from a three member panel comprised of a PERB member, SEIU member and City Management. They will conduct fact finding after which the results will be made public. The results are non-binding. IMPASSE can be broken at any time by either party. For further information attend the General Membership meeting on January 22.
How does IMPASSE affect you?
Negotiations have stopped. We do not have a contract.
What can you do?
- Every SEIU member will be affected by this IMPASSE (both fee payers and members in good standing alike). On January 13, everyone has the opportunity to make a difference in their contract by attending the City Council Meeting in City Hall on Monday, January 13 at 5:15 pm. Consider the one hour of time an investment in your future. Will you be there? Power in numbers.
- Attend a General Membership meeting to hear the Bargaining Team’s Best and Last Package Proposal as well as the City’s one and only package proposal. We will also be discussing our next steps.
When: Wednesday, January 22
Where: Cubberley Theater
Time: 4:30 p.m. or 6:00 p.m. (You only need to attend one.)
Who: Everyone for General Information; however, only members in good standing will be able to vote.
What you should know. Our Contract expired (12/1/13). Throughout the negotiation process, we presented to the City’s negotiation team several packaged proposals with “outside the box” ideas. Our proposals maintained our healthcare for actives while trying to address the City’s concerns on their unfunded liability and rising healthcare costs. Our proposals included COLA’s (cost of living adjustments) across the board and realignments. The City rejected all of our proposals.
We will continue to fight to protect our healthcare benefits. We will also continue to fight for realignments and a true COLA. Our best and last proposal met the City’s priorities regarding a flat rate contribution to healthcare and the inclusion of the retiree medical contribution in the total compensation formula while at the same time addressing our member’s needs. The City has made no economic movement since their one and only proposal back in October.
Bargaining Team Members: Margaret Adkins; Luis Uribe; Eli Serumalani; Peggy Quillman; Oscar Godinez; Josh Wallace; Anthony Mouton; Peter Quiroz; Erwin Gonzales.
BE INVOLVED – IT’S YOUR FUTURE!
******Please share with your fellow employees.******
SEIU 521 Palo Alto members, it’s time to sign up for updates so we can get a win at the negotiation table!
- Sign up for email and/or text updates.
For text only, simply text 521PaloAlto to 787753 to subscribe.*
- Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/seiu521PaloAlto
- Follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/seiu521PaloAlto
1. SEIU Local 521 will never charge you for text messages, however carrier message and data rates may apply, depending on your wireless carrier and service plan.
2. Text STOP to 787753 to unsubscribe, and HELP for more information. Periodic updates, up to 5 per week.
3. We can send text messages to all carriers except Cricket and MetroPCS. We are working to add those carriers.