Our community came together to defend the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and we won. The marches we led, the candlelight vigils across Local 521, the phone calls and digital activism all played a part in our victory. From our humble beginnings at a rally in front of Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s office, our efforts built a movement that we can all be proud of.
Because of the work of people like you:
- 3.5 million Californians will keep their insurance coverage through the expansion of Medi-Cal
- 1.4 million will stay covered by Covered California
- Our uninsured rate that dropped from 18 percent in 2013 to 6 percent in 2016 will stay there.
- California will not lose 334,000 jobs and $20 billion in funding that were on the chopping block, including $320 million per year that funds Local 521 hospitals.
- Millions of dollars that would have been cut from Medi-Cal eligibility programs, public health programs, mental health programs, and non-profit clinics will continue to serve those most in need.
Although we won the first round, we must remain vigilant. We can’t go back to a time when so many Americans had to rely on emergency rooms for primary care or forgo treatment altogether. Our Congress members need to carry the message to Washington D.C.: This law is saving lives in California and we are ready to fight for our health. #Fight4OurHealth