“The affordable housing crisis directly affects all of us in California and especially in Santa Cruz County. It’s driving out many longtime local residents and preventing many young families from owning a home. While we succeeded in passing statewide Propositions 1 and 2, which will address the housing crisis in different ways, we fell short of passing Measures M and H and Proposition 10. This election is not the end, but only the beginning of a long, determined struggle to make housing affordable for the working women and men of California and for our families.”
– Matt Nathanson, SEIU Local 521 Vice President for Region 2 (Monterey, San Benito, and Santa Cruz Counties)
Santa Cruz City Council: Richelle Noroyan – Close; waiting for final results
Richelle was elected to the City Council in 2014. She is focused on economic development, public safety, and homelessness.
Watsonville City Council District 7: Ari Parker – WIN
Ari is a proud union member. So proud, that she chose her ballot designation to be Teacher/Building Representative. A Building Representative is what we call a Shop Steward. How’s that for pro-union!? She is a member of the Pajaro Valley Federation of Teachers.
Santa Cruz City Council: Drew Glover – Close; waiting for final results
Drew is a non-profit director and local leader of the Poor Peoples’ Campaign. He is focused on housing, transportation, and on making Santa Cruz a more compassionate city.
City and County Measures
- YES on County of Santa Cruz Measure G: General purpose ½ cent sales tax – WIN
- Extends existing ½ cent general purpose sales tax to fund vital county services.
- YES on Scotts Valley Measure N: Transient Occupancy Tax – WIN
- 1% increase in Transient Occupancy Tax (hotel tax paid by tourists) to fund services for Scotts Valley residents
- YES on Watsonville Measure O: Transient Occupancy Tax – WIN
- 1% increase in Transient Occupancy Tax (hotel tax paid by tourists) to fund services for Watsonville residents
Unfortunately, the following endorsed candidates and measures were not successful. We appreciate your efforts on behalf of working families and our communities.
- Watsonville City Council District 4: Jenny Sarmiento
- County of Santa Cruz Measure H: Affordable Housing Bond
- City of Santa Cruz Measure M: Rent Control
- California Governor: Gavin Newsom – WIN
- California Lt. Governor: Ed Hernandez – LOSS
- California Attorney General: Xavier Becerra – WIN
- California Secretary of State: Alex Padilla – WIN
- California Treasurer: Fiona Ma – WIN
- California Controller: Betty Yee – WIN
- California Insurance Commissioner: Ricardo Lara – Close; waiting for final results
- California Superintendent of Public Instruction: Tony Thurmond – WIN
State Ballot Measures*
- Proposition 1 (YES): Veterans and Affordable Housing Bond Act of 2018 – WIN
- Proposition 2 (YES): No Place Like Home Act of 2018 – WIN
- Proposition 4 (YES): Children’s Hospital Bond Act of 2018 – WIN
- Proposition 5 (NO): Higher Housing Costs. Cuts to Schools – WIN
- Proposition 6 (NO): Stop the Attack on Bridge and Road Safety – WIN
- Proposition 8 (YES): Fair Pricing for Dialysis Act. Limits Charges – LOSS
- Proposition 10 (YES): Affordable Housing Act (Repeals Costa Hawkins, Expands Locals’ Authority to Enact Rent Control on Property) – LOSS
- Proposition 11 (NO): Emergency Ambulance Employee Safety and Preparedness (Requires Private Ambulance Workers to Remain On-Call During Breaks) – LOSS
- Proposition 12 (YES): Prevention of Cruelty to Farm Animals – WIN
- U.S. Senate: Kevin de León – LOSS
- U.S. Congress District 18: Anna Eshoo – WIN
- U.S. Congress District 20: Jimmy Panetta – WIN
California State Assembly*
- Assembly District 29: Mark Stone – WIN
* SEIU California Endorsed. Local 521 members participated in the SEIU California One Voice process that led to these endorsements. SEIU members across California gathered at regional town halls and our statewide convention to hear from candidates for district office, statewide office, and Congress. Members have exercised their voice and endorsed candidates who they believe will fight for our communities, support fair compensation, and the right to a union.
** Labor endorsed. Local 521 members participated in Central Labor Council candidates endorsement interviews and voted as delegates on these positions.