Five SEIU locals came together to cover the Central Region of California by forming one larger, more powerful local – SEIU Local 521. We received our charter as a new individual local on Jan. 2, 2007, and combined all the resources of the five former locals on March 1, 2007.
This marked a new beginning for workers. We are stronger together. Our local now represents 57,000 workers in Central California. Our membership includes thousands of public service workers in the South Bay Area, the Central Coast and the Central Valley.
A BIT ABOUT OUR UNION AND THE NORTHERN CENTRAL CALIFORNIA REGION
- Local 521 is one of the fastest growing locals in the fast growing International: Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
- We stand for democratic, active, smart and progressive unionism.
- We maintain high standards for staff and offer considerable administrative and supervisory support.
- We encourage team work and try to make this worthwhile-work enjoyable.
- We have good contracts, great members and some political clout.
- We are in the process of encouraging greater accountability and leadership in our rank and file officers and stewards.
- Our members work for many employers in counties across Northern Central California.
- We have offices to support our members in many prominent cities across Northern Central California.
- San Jose, the location of our headquarters is the 11th largest city in the United States and has the lowest crime rate of any major city. San Jose have the most culturally and ethnically diverse population in the U.S.
- The cities in our Northern Central California Region have great universities, art museums and professional sports teams, and some of the most beautiful weather in California. The Wine Country, the Pacific Ocean, skiing, Yosemite and San Francisco are within easy reach for the day or the weekend.