Job: Area Director – Bakersfield
|| Area Director – Bakersfield
||Commensurate with experience
|WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
Overview of the Job
The Area Director will supervise approximately 8-12 union staff members in a region of SEIU Local 521. The Area Director will oversee the union’s program on contract negotiations and campaigns, internal organizing, leadership recruitment and development, representation and political mobilization. The Area Director will serve on the staff leadership team of the regional local and work as a team to oversee the implementation of the union’s vision and program.
|You will be responsible for:
SKILLS, APTITUDE, AND COMMITMENT
- Supervising, training, hiring and developing the internal field staff of the region.
- Conduct staff meetings, team meetings and individual meetings with staff to review and plan their work.
- Working with a lead staff member in each county to develop their leadership skills and coordinate the work of the union.
- Working with the rank and file leadership and staff to create and implement plans to strengthen the union.
- Leading and assisting in developing campaign plans around budget issues, contract negotiations and worksite problems.
- Serving as the Chief Spokesperson in larger chapter negotiations and assisting staff in contract negotiations in the smaller chapters.
- Ensure staff and member participation in the union’s organizing and political programs.
- Represent the union in the region in its relationships with political, community and labor leaders and organizations.
- Serve on the staff leadership team of the regional local and coordinating with other senior staff to run the programs of the organization under the leadership of the rank and file executive board.
|What you will need to do the job:
- At least five years as a union staff person responsible for representation and program implementation. Experience negotiating collective bargaining agreements and developing and executing contract campaigns. Experience motivating, supervising, evaluating and developing staff and holding them accountable to a campaign and workplan.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of rank and file leaders and involve them in every aspect of the union’s program.
- Strong planning skills, ability to discern priorities and manage multiple responsibilities.
- Possess proven leadership and consensus building skills.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including weekends and evenings.
REQUIREMENTS: Must possess a valid California driver’s license; must pass a DMV check and have a good driving record; must have auto insurance that covers business driving (minimum of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per incident bodily injury liability/$100,000 property coverage); and must possess an automobile for business use.
Salary and Benefits
- Annual salary depending on experience
- Fully paid dependent health, vision, dental, disability, and life insurance
- Employer-paid SEIU pension plan
- Liberal vacation, sick and comp time
Send a cover letter and resume to Riko Mendez, Chief Elected Officer;
Attention: Pamela Rodgers, Administrative Director
2302 Zanker Road, San Jose, CA 95131
No phone calls, please.
This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
SEIU Local 521 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 521 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
About SEIU Local 521
SEIU Local 521 was founded in 2007 when 5 local unions came together in the Bay Area, Central Coast and Central Valley to form one larger, more powerful union. Together our members are building a true 21st century union fighting to empower and improve the lives of our members. We represent 40,000 public service workers in cities, counties, courts, schools, private non-profits, special districts and public health care. We are looking for energetic, hardworking staff that is committed to real change, who believes in the value of work and the value of public services, and who wants to be part of the team that wins for workers, their families, and their communities.
This job listing was created using Job Manager for WordPress, by Tom Townsend.