Job: Communications Coordinator – San Jose
|| Communications Coordinator – San Jose
||San Jose, CA
|WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
The Communications Coordinator, under the direction of the Communications Director, is responsible for developing and implementing the Union’s communications campaign plans, including for internal organizing, political and legislative action, bargaining, and other activities.
|You will be responsible for:
- Trains, develops, and directs activities of communications specialist staff.
- Assists in the development of strategies to improve the public image and visibility of SEIU Local 521 and its members.
- Assists in developing and implementing communications strategies and calendars for various campaigns within the local.
- Coordinates and edits local union website, e-mail, and social media communications.
- Writes and develops op-eds, background pieces, fact sheets, press kit materials, leaflets, brochures, and other materials as needed for various campaigns.
- Tracks new media tools for engaging the membership and makes recommendations for testing and utilizing them.
- Responsible for leading the implementation of new member communications initiatives.
- Writes talking points, statements, and letters to the editor, speeches, and other written materials as needed. May be called on to assist in the production of union videos.
- Coordinates media event logistics and interviews.
- Acts and coordinates others to act as official media spokesperson for the local and its elected officers.
- Maintains ongoing, effective communication with media outlets, including local ethnic and alternative media. Maintains media database.
- Monitors media coverage of local union, employers and other related topics, maintains media file, makes recommendations on ways to improve media coverage.
- Responsible for editing and coordinating production of the local-wide newsletter, chapter newsletters, and other communications where appropriate.
- Monitors and ensures the quality and consistency of all the local’s communications. Coordinates the design, content, and style of union communications with the administrative staff tasked with production and distribution.
- Creates and monitors chapter newsletter schedules, works with staff to provide high quality, timely newsletters to chapters.
- Trains staff and rank-and-file leadership in effective and strategic verbal and written communication, including on social media.
- Coordinates translation of local-wide union literature into main languages spoken by the membership.
- Maintains database and archive of union literature.
- Interacts and coordinates with International Union and State Council communications staff on state and national campaign communications strategies and materials.
|What you will need to do the job:
- Ability to think strategically and work in and across teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications-related field preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in union communications or equivalent experience in strategic media relations, public affairs, or campaign communications
- Previous experience with the labor movement or other advocacy group preferred.
- Experience developing staff and leading teams.
- Demonstrated experience in performing pro-active media outreach, maintaining good working relationships with journalists, and generating positive media coverage.
- Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical communications skills. Writing test required.
- Working knowledge of electronic and/or print media systems; knowledge of advertising techniques preferred.
- Familiarity with all aspects of literature production process, including layout, required.
- Familiarity with organizing, political, and bargaining strategies preferred.
- Knowledge of website maintenance, e-mail communications, social media, and video production preferred.
- Ability to work independently under limited direction and balance conflicting demands.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours often including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish or Vietnamese a plus.
REQUIREMENTS: Must possess a valid California driver’s license; must pass a DMV check and have a good driving record; must have auto insurance that covers business driving (minimum of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per incident bodily injury liability/$100,000 property coverage); and must possess an automobile for business use.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Employer-paid retirement plan.
- Fully-paid health insurance for worker and dependents (including domestic partner).
- Liberal vacation and sick leave.
- Life insurance, dental and vision care.
- Pleasant atmosphere and great co-workers.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to:
Attention: Pam Rodgers, Administrative Director
SEIU Local 521
2302 Zanker Road
San Jose, CA 95131
No phone calls please.
This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
SEIU Local 521 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 521 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
About SEIU Local 521
SEIU Local 521 was founded in 2007 when 5 local unions came together in the Bay Area, Central Coast and Central Valley to form one larger, more powerful union. Together our members are building a true 21st century union fighting to empower and improve the lives of our members. We represent 40,000 public service workers in cities, counties, courts, schools, private non-profits, special districts and public health care. We are looking for energetic, hardworking staff that is committed to real change, who believes in the value of work and the value of public services, and who wants to be part of the team that wins for workers, their families, and their communities.
This job listing was created using Job Manager for WordPress, by Tom Townsend.