Job: Community/Political Organizer – Salinas and San Jose
|| Community/Political Organizer – Salinas and San Jose
||Salinas and San Jose
|WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
Under direction of the Political Director, works in community coalitions and builds support among community groups and leaders for Local’s strategic campaigns and objectives.
|You will be responsible for:
All duties listed are required, but may or may not be continuously performed or ongoing at any specific time. This list is not necessarily all inclusive:
- Identify potential allies among labor, religious, ethnic, immigrant, advocacy, patient/client, disability, environmental, senior, neighborhood and other appropriate community organizations and leaders.
- Develop relationships with potential allies, educate them on SEIU Local 521 campaigns and objectives and organize them to support those campaigns and objectives.
- Coordinate SEIU Local 521’s participation in activities in support of community allies.
- Maintain database and other records on community organizations and leaders in the area.
- Plan, in conjunction with organizing/worksite organizing/research/communications staff, the community component to strategic campaigns being carried out by the Local. Carry out community component of plan.
- Organize community forums, petitions and press conferences in support of strategic campaigns.
- Attend meetings of allied community organizations when appropriate to maintain effective relationships and build support for union campaigns.
- Track the membership and activity of Local 521 members in community organizations that may be potential allies.
- Develop, recruit and train Local 521 members to effectively represent the union in community organizations.
- Turnout community organizations to union events.
- Create organizations, when appropriate, of key constituents needed for
- strategic leverage (i.e. hospital patient organization, local resident
- organization, etc.)
- Participate in Local programs including political campaigns, organizing blitzes and other Local-wide efforts. May participate in Local-wide committee.
|What you will need to do the job:
Two years of full-time paid experience in community organizing.
- High level ability to communicate orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish, maintain rapport and work in mutually beneficial coalitions with widely varied ethnic, social and philosophical groups;
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision;
- Ability to plan strategically, follow a plan and be accountable to a team in carrying out a plan;
- Dedication to building power for workers and a willingness to participate in wide field of activities towards that objective;
- Drivers license, automobile and insurance;
- Freedom and willingness to work irregular and long hours and attend required evening and weekend meetings.
- Bilingual (Spanish, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Chinese) preferred.
- Established relationships with community organizations in Local 521 areas preferred.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must possess a valid California driver’s license; must pass a DMV check and have a good driving record; must have auto insurance that covers business driving (minimum of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per incident bodily injury liability/$100,000 property coverage); and must possess an automobile for business use.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience.
- Employer-paid retirement plan & 401(k).
- Fully-paid health insurance for worker and dependents.
- Liberal vacation, sick leave and holiday schedule.
- Life insurance, dental, vision care and flexible spending accounts.
Send cover letter and resume to Riko Mendez, Chief Elected Officer;
Attention: Pamela Rodgers, Administrative Director
2302 Zanker Road, San Jose, CA 95131
No phone calls please.
This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
SEIU Local 521 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 521 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
About SEIU Local 521
SEIU Local 521 was founded in 2007 when 5 local unions came together in the Bay Area, Central Coast and Central Valley to form one larger, more powerful union. Together our members are building a true 21st century union fighting to empower and improve the lives of our members. We represent 40,000 public service workers in cities, counties, courts, schools, private non-profits, special districts and public health care. We are looking for energetic, hardworking staff that is committed to real change, who believes in the value of work and the value of public services, and who wants to be part of the team that wins for workers, their families, and their communities.
This job listing was created using Job Manager for WordPress, by Tom Townsend.