Job: Contract Enforcement Specialist Assistant (CESA) – San Jose
|| Contract Enforcement Specialist Assistant (CESA) – San Jose
|WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
The Contract Enforcement Specialist Assistants (CESA) will be assigned to work with members in one or more organized jurisdictions of SEIU Local 521 representing clerical, blue collar, professional and service workers in the public and private sector. They will work from an established office and answer all incoming calls from members needing assistance with contract issues, worksite problems, and will be responsible for filing grievances/disciplines and appeals.
|You will be responsible for:
- The first duty is to keep track of the contracts in their geographic area and to familiarize themselves with other contracts to help out when other Contract Enforcement Specialist Assistants (CESA) are unavailable.
- Identify and process the paperwork associated with grievances/disciplines, and appeals at all levels, meeting timelines on all related aspects of the grievances/disciplines/appeals process.
- Work with stewards through the Skelly hearings, making himself/herself available on phone alert to assist stewards if he/she needs help during a hearing.
- Coordinate with stewards and officers in their representational duties, including grievances and disciplinary appeals. Follow up when necessary. Encourage member participation in COPE and other campaign activities within the union as part of their normal conversation.
- Attend bi-monthly meetings of Contract Enforcement Department (CED) staff for training and coordination.
- Assist internal organizers by attending occasional meetings and report statistics of the types of questions asked.
- Confirm and update member contact information in Unionware. Run lists/reports, learn advanced computer Unionware program to develop and manipulate reports, charts, and graphics.
- Track and submit to database all new and retired stewards for the area, and submit any updates in steward contact information to database. Submit required documents to agencies of new and retired stewards to meet the requirements of the agency.
- Perform steward orientations once every two weeks for any newly elected stewards, give them their cards, steward manual, and welcome them. Assist in steward training sessions and orient new stewards.
- Assist the Contract Enforcement Specialist (CES) in the jurisdiction or as assigned by calling back members, discussing matters with stewards, interviewing witnesses, drafting grievances, and answering steward phone calls about the status of the case.
- Receive all incoming calls from the front office person regarding members needing assistance with contract issues, worksite problems, and other union activities, events, and project as assigned. If unavailable, the call will be returned as soon as possible within their work schedule.
- Refer calls to worksite organizers and supervisors especially being aware of repetitive problems in an area and workplace issues that would lend themselves to workplace actions.
- Assist Contract Enforcement Specialist (CES) by filing grievances, preparing for appeals when members do not agree with staff decision.
- In small offices may be the phone answerer at times, but not in prolonged absences.
- Cover for other Contract Enforcement Specialist Assistants (CESA) as necessary in other SEIU 521 areas via phone and transfer issues when completed.
|What you will need to do the job:
- Ability to establish rapport and orient stewards in widely diversified ethnic, social and economic groups. Good judgment and ability to discern priorities when faced with many important tasks. Some knowledge of labor rights and extensive contract language and the ability to learn these quickly.
- Ability to communicate well in writing and orally. Computer skills, strong typing, and the ability to maintain work files and comply with administrative reporting. Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
- These skills will normally have been developed by working as a full-time union staff member in organizing or representational assignments, extensive experience as a steward or other union leadership position, or paralegal work.
CESA will not be required to drive as a requirement, but if he/she chooses to drive for work-related acts, he/she shall provide proof of a valid California driver’s license and shall receive mileage reimbursement at the maximum IRS rate.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Compensation: This is an hourly position
- Employer-paid retirement plan & 401(k) sponsored plan.
- Fully-paid health insurance for worker and dependents.
- Liberal vacation, sick leave and holiday schedule.
- Life insurance, dental, vision care, and flexible spending accounts for healthcare and daycare.
Send cover letter and resume to Riko Mendez, Chief Elected Officer
Attention: Pam Rodgers, Administrative Director
SEIU Local 521
2302 Zanker Road
San Jose, CA 95131
No phone calls, please.
This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
SEIU Local 521 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 521 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
About SEIU Local 521
SEIU Local 521 was founded in 2007 when 5 local unions came together in the Bay Area, Central Coast and Central Valley to form one larger, more powerful union. Together our members are building a true 21st century union fighting to empower and improve the lives of our members. We represent 40,000 public service workers in cities, counties, courts, schools, private non-profits, special districts and public health care. We are looking for energetic, hardworking staff that is committed to real change, who believes in the value of work and the value of public services, and who wants to be part of the team that wins for workers, their families, and their communities.
This job listing was created using Job Manager for WordPress, by Tom Townsend.