Job: Internal Worksite Organizer – Visalia
|| Internal Worksite Organizer – Visalia
|WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
Under the direction of the Area Director or his/her designee, this position is responsible for developing worksite leadership structures; recruiting new members; supporting members in exercising political power; participating in organizing and political campaigns and negotiating union contracts. Also responsible for organizing new groups of workers interested in union representation and/or internal organizing and bargaining support campaigns. Responsible for preparing g work plans, calendars, files, reports, and other records.
|You will be responsible for:
- Identifying, recruiting, training and developing stewards, officers and leaders.
- Leading and assisting in developing plans for worksite campaigns for specific issues including public budget issues, contract negotiations, safety, etc.
- Creating or assisting members in creating communication systems; write and edit leaflets, proposals, newsletters, etc.
- Negotiating or assisting in contract negotiations, from proposals through strike preparation.
- Monitoring stewards and officers in their representational duties, including grievances and disciplinary appeals. Follow through where necessary.
- Meeting timelines and procedures related to labor contracts and union bylaws constitution and policies.
- Encouraging participation in political and lobbying activities. Help members hold elected officials accountable.
- Participating in and learning to lead residual organizing campaigns; recruit members.
- Leading staff members or community based committees; serve as spokesperson.
|What you will need to do the job:
- Ability to establish rapport with and organize members in widely diversified ethnic, social and economic groups.
- Good judgment and ability to discern priorities when faced with many important tasks.
- Some knowledge of labor rights and contract language and the ability to learn these quickly.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, often including nights and weekends.
- Ability to communicate well in writing and orally; ability to mobilize membership.
- Ability to maintain work files and comply with administrative reporting.
- Bilingual/biliterate in Spanish, Chinese, Hmong, or Vietnamese a plus.
- Employer-paid pension plan.
- Fully paid health insurance.
- Liberal vacation and sick leave.
- Life insurance and vision care.
- Pleasant atmosphere, great co-workers, and supervisors.
Send cover letter and resume to Riko Mendez, Chief Elected Officer;
Attention: Pamela Rodgers, Administrative Director
2302 Zanker Road, San Jose, CA 95131
No phone calls, please.
This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
SEIU Local 521 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 521 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
About SEIU Local 521
SEIU Local 521 was founded in 2007 when 5 local unions came together in the Bay Area, Central Coast and Central Valley to form one larger, more powerful union. Together our members are building a true 21st century union fighting to empower and improve the lives of our members. We represent 40,000 public service workers in cities, counties, courts, schools, private non-profits, special districts and public health care. We are looking for energetic, hardworking staff that is committed to real change, who believes in the value of work and the value of public services, and who wants to be part of the team that wins for workers, their families, and their communities.
This job listing was created using Job Manager for WordPress, by Tom Townsend.