We represent nearly 11,000 workers at the County of Santa Clara.
Helping Flood Victims in San Jose
Find out how you can help.
May 4, 2017
IMPORTANT OPEN ENROLLMENT INFORMATION – Member Health Benefit Rates
Open enrollment is occurring right now for health care coverage AND supplemental insurances and ends on May 31. The good news is that SEIU 521 member rates are not going up at this time unless a member chooses a different plan requiring a premium payment. For instance, if you are paying Kaiser family coverage and wants to switch to Health Net family coverage, you will pay more. Nothing changes for vision or dental. In our last contract, SEIU negotiated that the County would pay for any additional costs. The rates in our current contract are the rates we will pay this next year.
There is also an open window for supplemental insurances until May 31. If you didn’t choose any of these plans (you pay the full cost) when you first joined the County, you can sign up now for life insurance and other insurances without evidence of insurability (no exams to check if pre-existing conditions) for life insurance coverage up to $209,000. You can also apply for long-term disability plans and the rates are fairly cheap compared to the open market. Make sure you read all the fine print and then consider your options carefully. Once the window closes on May 31, the opportunity goes away. If you are interested in enrolling in or changing your current supplemental life insurance election, or health care coverage, contact your department’s Employee Service Center or attend any of the workshops conducted throughout the County. Choose wisely — your health and that of your family depend on it!
December 12, 2016
IS/ISD Reorganization – Update #1
As many of you know, ISD, HHS-IS, and SSA-IS has been working on a reorganization/reclassification for the last two years. Representatives from your union have been attending these ITCC Committee meetings on a monthly basis to ensure we protect your rights. The ITCC website offers updates to all workers on the continued efforts of the county working with consulting firms Radford and Gartner.
Read our first update (PDF)
Stay informed and get involved; your job and salary may change!
Contact your stewards for more information:
- Chief Steward Marvin Gin: Marvin.Gin@hhs.sccgov.org
- Steward Teresa Andrews: Teresa.Andrews@isd.sccgov.org
Leadership Council / General Membership Meeting: 3rd Thursday of every month, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
RSVP at SEIU521.Receptionist@seiu521.org or (408) 678-3300.
2017 meetings (*includes Leadership Council meeting prior to General Membership):
- May 18*
- June 15
- July 20*
- Aug 17
- Sept 21*
- Oct 19
- Nov 16*
- Dec 21
Back Log meetings with county: 2nd & 4th Tuesdays of each month.
Healthcare Reform Member Committee meetings: The Tuesday before the 4th Thursday of the month, 6:00 p.m. SEIU 521 office, 2302 Zanker Road, San Jose
Steward Workshops Sign up online now
Get your Chapter updates by text messaging and/or email Sign up now to get the latest bargaining updates and meeting reminders. For text messages only, simply text 521SCCO to 787753 to subscribe. (Standard text messages rates may apply. Read more.)
THE WORKERS’ VOICE
In this issue:
- Immigration Workshop
- Member Health Benefit Rates
- Build Political and Community Power
- Asian & Pacific Islander Heritage Celebration
- VRWH Grievance Settlement
- Calendar of Upcoming Meetings
In this issue:
- S.P.O.T. Settlement
- Women’s March in San Jose
- A.P.T unit wage realignment update
- A message from your Chapter Chair
- Promotional Opportunity Project
Chapter Officers Chapter Chair:
- wRen Bradley, Social Services
Deputy Chapter Chairs:
- Mullissa Willette, Assessor’s Office
- Marvin Gin, VMC
- Francisco Diaz, Office of the Assessor
- Michael Dunleavy, Social Services
- Administrative, Professional, and Technical (APT) – VACANT
- Blue Collar – Jason Dorsey, Facilities
- Clerical – David Parker, Pretrial
- Eligibility Supervisors – Frank Medina, Social Services
- Eligibility Workers – Yvet Aguayo, Social Services
- Environmental Health (EVH) – Peder Eriksson, Jr, EVH
- Probation Counselor Safety – Thaddeus Bangle, Probation
- Public Health Nursing – Timothy Hill, Public Health
- Social Services – Hector San Roman, Social Services
- Social Service Supervisors – Carla Torres, Social Services
Chapter Stewards – Updated May 1, 2017
Chapter Bargaining Team – Updated November 10, 2015