SEIU 521 is a democratically-run, member-driven organization. That means members govern and are at the heart of every decision in our union. Every three years, we elect delegates to come together, review our progress and help develop our priorities for the coming years.
JUNE 1-August 14
The Nomination Petition Form is available for delegate candidates.
Click here for the petition form (page 2).
If you are interested in becoming a convention delegate or nominating a coworker, please fill out the nomination petition form on page 2 and return by mail or hand-delivery to an SEIU Local 521 office by the deadline.
ALL NOMINATION PETITION FORMS MUST BE SUBMITTED NO LATER THAN 5 PM ON AUGUST 14, 2017, 5 PM – NO EXCEPTIONS.
JULY 1-August 14
Nomination petitions must be postmarked by August 8, 2017, and received by the union office no later than 5 p.m. on August 14, 2017. The deadline to submit nomination petitions has been extended to Monday, August 14, 5 p.m.
Voting dates, times, and locations will be announced by Chapter.
Training and information regarding travel, accommodations, and meals will be provided for all elected Convention Delegates.
The convention will be held at SEIU Local 521 Headquarters in San Jose.
Delegates must schedule their own time off with their employer; no lost time will be reimbursed by SEIU Local 521.
RULES AND REQUIREMENTS FOR DELEGATE CANDIDATES
- Members must be in good standing for ONE YEAR as of April 30, 2017, to be eligible to run for delegate.
- All candidates for delegate must have nomination petitions signed by members from their chapters.
- Chapters with more than 2,000 members: must collect a minimum of 30 signatures.
- Chapters with 200 – 1,999 members: must collect a minimum of 20 signatures.
- Chapters with fewer than 200 members, members of our childcare chapters, and retired members: must collect a minimum of 10 signatures or signatures of half of the membership in good standing in their chapter,
whichever is less.
*Article V: Local Convention, Section 2 – Convention Delegates: Elected by members in good standing, delegates will come from every chapter of the local according to the following formula: All current Executive Board Officers, Delegates, and Trustees shall automatically be delegates to the Local Convention. In addition to the current Executive Board members listed above, each Chapter or Composite Group with Executive Board delegate allocations will be allowed one additional convention delegate for each Executive Board delegate slot allotted to that Chapter or Composite Group, whether or not all Executive Board delegate slots are filled at that time.
*Excerpt taken from SEIU Local 521 Bylaws. For complete Bylaws, click here.
DELEGATE ELECTION PROCESS
1. All delegate elections will be developed by individual chapters and must be approved by the Election Committee. In smaller chapters, for example, voting could take place at a membership meeting. Larger chapters may opt to hold elections at several sites.
* Unopposed Candidates: If a nominee is unopposed after the local has provided reasonable opportunity for nominations, the local does not have to hold an election for that position.
2. Chapters with more than 300 members must ensure there is diversity of classification, industry, bargaining units, and/or departments in their elected delegation.
3. Per Article V of the SEIU Local 521 Bylaws, Executive Officers of SEIU 521 are automatically seated as convention delegates.
4. Only members are eligible to vote. Membership cards may be turned in at the time of voting to qualify new members to vote.
5. Election rules will follow SEIU Local 521 Bylaws.